Saturday, March 29, 2014

30th anniversary bike built up

Other than the grips, this is the full and final build o this bike. Why not fillet brazed and fully rigid like the original 1984 edition ? All you would need to do is to take a one minute spin on either bike and figure out why I went with a more current formula. Hey-I would like to think that I have improved on what I built 30 years ago !
 The only nods to the original on this bike are the 26" wheels and the Tange Presige tubeset-now being re-issued after not being available to U.S. builders for over a decade. My opinion ? I'm really glad to have it back and if this set is typical of the quality , I will no doubt be using this tubing in the future. Not all the tubes are Tange-the seat tube and wishbone seatstays are the Nova brand and the head tube is from Paragon. All the other tubes are a sample set of Prestige-light stuff but not too light......just right for cross country Nor-Cal bikes.
 Why all the room above the tire ? This frame will also take 650 wheels-with a different fork I'll be able to check out 650's on the local trails. I have been building 650 bikes for nearly 10 years but have never had one myself.
The other reason for this bike to exist are all the parts.....they have been gathering dust on the shelves of my shop: Sid XX fork, Shimano MT 65 tubeless wheelset, Saint rear der. and shifter, Zee crankset.......the only things I had to buy were the brakes and the bar and stem and the flat pedals. This is my first bike with a 1x9 setup and flat pedals and I really like both a lot. The super tight spring in the Saint der. keeps the chain from slapping and the flat pedals allow me to ride the trails with any shoes.....this week-Vans-they really stick to the pedals like glue. Verdict : 26" is not dead ! The bike feels super quick and the steering is..... lets say......exciting ! I found myself nearly hitting all sorts of trees and stuff , just missing at the last second. Ahh.....memories of 1984 coming back.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi, This is a good post, indeed a great job. You must have done good research for the work, i appreciate your efforts.. Looking for more updates from your side. Thanks
carbon fiber wheels bicycle